School year: September-June

Paris University is not just one University called Sorbonne. They are 13 universities, independent from each other. Some of them fall within the Créteil or Versailles education authorities instead of the Parisian one. Some residual administrative functions of the thirteen universities are formally supervised by a common chancellor, the rector of the Paris education authority, whose offices are at the Sorbonne.

Here’s a list with the names of all 13 universities.

1 – Panthéon-Sorbonne

2 – Panthéon-Assas

3 – Sorbonne Nouvelle

4 – Paris-Sorbonne

5 – René Descartes

6 – Pierre & Marie Curie

7 – Denis Diderot

8 – Vincennes – Saint-Denis

9 – Dauphine

10 – Paris Ouest Nanterre

11 – Paris-Sud

12 – Val-de-Marne

13 – Paris-Nord

To apply to one of these you must see how you’re going to Paris, as an European Citizen or not.

Foreign people must go by Campus France, an agency created by the french government to help students all around the world to study at France, but you can apply for just three Universities. You choose the ones you want in the order you want and wait. If you get aproved in the first one, the other two won’t even receive your request. If you don’t get aproved in the first one, the second one will receive your request. Something very important is that you need to be aproved in one university in your own country in the same course you want to study inFrance.The process starts in December and you must have the DALF B2 Certificate to be easier to get inside the university, I explain more about the degrees in here.

As I said, it starts in December, when you create an online curriculum at Campus France, then you register and validate your request and pay the Campus France tax (it’s no expensive, but it increases every year). Then, in January you must send some documents translated to french by mail and go to an interview at an Aliance Francese to see your motivation of study, in other words, why you want to go to Paris. The first response of the first university comes by April, the second one by may and the third one by june. If accepted in one of these, in July you must go to Paris to make the registration. But, careful, some countries ask for a visa if you want to spend more than 3 months in France.

For those who have European Citizenship and want to go with it, it’s necessary just to apply directly to the university. The process starts in April and in July you get the answer. There’s no limit of requests you can make, but you have to do everything on your own, there’s no one to help you.

Each university has a fee per year. You pay only once a year and it includes health insurance and it’s an average of 300€. Students can work, but in a maximum of 20 hours per week. That’s law.

Some universities aren’t just universities, they’re Grandes Écoles! I explain more about it here.

Hope I have helped you and I’ll see you in the next post!

No Comments Yet

Leave a Reply